Saturday, May 11th, 2013, 10 am to 2 pm
at Colvill Park in Red Wing, MN
About the Walk-a-Thon
The Walk-a-Thon is an event to raise funds to support shelter animals and also to celebrate the animal-human bond! It is an event of fundraising with participants gathering pledged donations, as well as education (presentations by local law enforcement, trainers, and veterinarians), and entertainment (stories and crafts for children AND pets.)
As an incentive for participants, we will be giving goodie bags to the first 150 participants with all sorts of pet related freebies. We’ll also have healthy complimentary snacks and great door prizes!
Of course this event is a fundraiser, however you are welcome to attend even if you haven’t been out gathering pledges for weeks. You may make a personal donation instead of, or in addition to, collecting pledges and all are welcome regardless of how much money they raise.
Walk-a-Thon Tentative Schedule of Events
We are planning a vibrant event with a variety of activities and learning opportunities.
- 10 – 11 am: Walk with Animals Around Colvill Park
- 11 am: Kids’ Story Time
- Noon: K-9 Unit Demonstration
- 1 pm: Agility & Training Demonstration
- Throughout the Day: Art Activities with ArtReach (for humans), Paw Print Painting (for pets), Pet Portrait Sketches, Nail Trimming & Microchipping (for pets), Ask-the-Trainer, and other activities
Thanks to our generous sponsors, all of the overhead costs of this event have been covered. That means that 100% of the money raised will go to help the animals at the Humane Society!
Platinum Paw Sponsor
Gold Paw Sponsors
Silver Paw Sponsors
Bronze Paw Sponsors
Donations & Prizes!
It’s time to collect donations for the 2013 Walk-a-Thon! This year, as in previous years, we will award prizes to the three people in both the 12 & under and over-12 age groups who raise the most money for the Humane Society!
The prizes include a $50 Target gift card for 1st place, a $30 Target gift card for 2nd, and a $20 Target gift card for 3rd, along with some other goodies.
Click to download a Walk-a-thon 2013 pledge sheet !
Click to download a Walk 2013 Brochure!
This year it’s even easier to collect donations ONLINE as well through GiveMN.org! We have a Walk-a-Thon 2013 page set up at www.givemn.org/hsgc-walk-a-thon-2013 and it’s super easy for you to join. Here’s how…
- Visit the Walk-a-Thon team page on GiveMN.org
- Scroll down and on the right hand side you will find a box that says, “Join This Team.” There’s a button to “Share” and a button to “Fundraise.” Click “Fundraise.”
- GiveMN will have you log in (or create an account if you don’t already have one) and will begin the process of creating a fundraising page for the Walk.
- You can put in quite a bit of info including photos, and a video if you want.
- Then all you need to do is share the link to your page with people you know!
Need more help? Download this pdf with step-by-step instructions from last year: Give MN How-To
Why collect donations online? The main reason is that it makes things very simple for you, your donors, and us! When people go your GiveMN fundraiser page they can donate directly to the Humane Society through you. GiveMN is a secure site that does not share or sell personal information to other organizations (all we see is the name, address, and amount given – but donors can even select to be anonymous if they don’t want to share that information) and they automatically issue a receipt that donors can use for their taxes.
It’s super easy for us to track on our end so it’ll be no problem to add any online donations collected in your name into the donations you turn in at the Walk. You can add pledges you collect as cash or checks onto your GiveMN page (and we’ll verify them once you turn them in.) GiveMN has lots of cool little features to create donation widgets you can post on other sites and easy ways to share your fundraising page.
As a bonus, if you sign up to collect donations on GiveMN we’ll give you one of our cool t-shirts!